Here I want to share very old Russian remedies that are effective and natural. I collected books from my grandma that she had from her grandparents so I can one day (now!) share them with you.
The new innovations often bring something that’s been discovered before. While chemicals are harsh on your body and may cause problems with health later, natural remedies aren’t only effective but safe to use.
There are many reasons why your hair might be falling out. Age, genes, certain medications, pregnancy, bad diet can all affect your hair growth and loss. If you’re not sure why it’s happening it’s always a good idea to check with a doctor. Meanwhile, doing home remedies can work wonders. And if your hair don’t fall out, it’s always nice to boost their growth to get thick and long hair fast.
- Use fresh onion juice on your scalp overnight.
I know, it’s not the most pleasant thing to smell like onion, but on the top of strengthening your hair roots you’ll get rid of all kind of bugs you might catch during flu season. Just wear double pillow case on your pillow, then take an onion, cut it in pieces and mix it in a blender. Use that mixture to apply on your hair roots, massaging it into your scalp. If you have long hair, you can use some oils (such as almond, olive, jojoba) on your ends and leave it overnight as well, it will smooth out the ends.
2) Use henna on your hair. Nowadays there are different shades of henna you can buy, not just the red one. There’s also “clear” henna that can be used if you don’t want to color your hair. I’d suggest to not use henna if you have blonde or bleached hair as even a clear henna can give it a yellowish tint. Some hair stylists say henna doesn’t help hair growth but I’m here to disagree and prove the opposite. My mom used to use henna all her life and her hair were gorgeous even when she got older. A soon as she stopped and started using synthetic hair dyes, all the beauty faded away and her hair started falling out. Personally I used henna before and after bleaching and coloring my hair, and it truly did wonders to my hair, leaving them strong and shiny. It may dry out your ends just a bit so you can add oils when you use henna.
3) Using nettle as a hair rinse can strengthen hair, make them soft and boost hair growth. Take 3 tablespoons of grid nettles and pour a half of a gallon of hot water in it. Let it stand for an hour. Then, drain it and use as a hair rinse 2-3 times a week (do not wash off the rinse with water afterwards, just dry your hair as usual). Nettle can even treat premature grey hair and bolding.
4) Calendula and burdock root are also an efficient way to fight hair loss. Along with that, they’ll make your hair shiny and manageable. Take 4 oz of dried calendula, plus 5 oz of burdock root in half of a gallon of boiled water. Cover and let it stand for an hour, drain and use this rinse 2x a week after washing your hair, do not rinse with water after. All the herbs can be bought online or at health stores.
5) Last – but not least! Is my absolute new favorite – amla powder. Amla is an Indian gooseberry that has lots of antioxidants and vitamins that are important for growth of human hair. Taking Amla powder as a supplement is great for health in general as well. Besides adding it to your smoothies, you can use it as a mask. It helps to prevent premature greying, fight hair loss, and improve structure of your hair. I literally saw a difference after using it for a week, my hair started getting thicker and more healthy looking. Mix 2 tbsp of amla and about 4 tbsp of coconut oil (you can adjust it to a smooth, creamy consistency) plus 2 tbsp of lemon juice. Apply it to the roots of your hair and leave it for at least 30 mins, wash off with shampoo followed by conditioner. It will not color your hair.
To wrap it up, I wanted to add few more notes – eating more Omega 3 fats, lots of protein, and drinking enough water can all affect the health of your hair. Exercise helps to move the blood to your head and to the roots of your hair, which may improve hair growth as well (there are even special yoga poses you can do for that). Vitamin D plays an important role in hair health too so try to get Sunshine vitamin daily or use supplement.