If you’re at a gym to build muscle, you’re probably neglecting the stretching part. Just a quick stretch instead of a warm up feels enough.
But stretch and warm up are not the same. And no matter if you’re tying to gain muscle mass, to lose weight, or to lean out – flexibility training is something you need to do for your body and health, and here’s why.
Flexibility training can:
- Improve performance
- Reduce injuries risk
- Improve joint health
- Decrease soreness from exercise
- Prevent the tendency to stiffen with age
- Improve posture and more
So now that you know the benefits of it, let’s see how it actually needs to be done.
How to stretch properly:
- Before you do stretch,you still need to warm up. Because if you start pulling cold muscles, you can injure yourself.
It’s a good idea to run / go for a fast walk for 10 mins and then do the stretch,or stretch at the end of your workout (and still warm up before workout).
- Focus on major body muscle groups such as hips,lower back, neck,thighs.
- When you stretch,expect to feel some tension but not pain.
- Hold each stretch for 30 seconds.
- Stretch at least 2-3 times a week.
Stretching properly is important for everyone,no matter if you’re looking for lean long body or trying to gain mass and bulk up. Add it to your workout routine to get all the benefits!